a little bit of humor

a little bit of humor

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Alche...mist sorry I dozed off

I finally finished the book...finally. I found every page, as someone said in class, (sorry I can't remember exactly who it was, it may have been Christina and her book throwing) to be a repetetive beating of my head against an impenetrable wall constructed of bricks made of Personal Legends and mortar of Soul of the World. The very phrases made me shudder each time they were iterated, which incidently was e.v.e.r.y. page. I am not snobbish and I have never considered myself of the "highbrow" faction, but wow, how many times must we hear about the same damn thing? I suppose this business about relearning to read is important, but this "moral of the story" thing, made so painfully obvious in The Alchemist, is tiresome. I felt like I was reading children's literature with an ending that teaches an important moralistic life lesson, like "we must share with others". Instead, it was "we must follow our Personal Legends and fulfill what is meant for us in life". Contrived is the word I'm looking for, and possibly cheesy. I must say, though, there is no more obvious way to address the subject of Dolce Domum.

No comments:

Post a Comment