a little bit of humor

a little bit of humor

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My Last Blog

This class was the most eye opening experience I have ever had. This was my first class with Dr. Sexson and I have to say...it was incredible. I learned more this last semester than I have learned in any subsequent classes and I want to say thank you to Dr. Sexson and thank you to my classmates. My favorite books were The Following Story and The Four Quartets, which I intend to carry with me for the rest of my life. I could not possibly summarize this class in one blog but I will explain my paper, which was my summation of the class.

A girl's mother dies and she is blamed by her father for the tragedy. He locks her in her room because he can't stand the sight of her and she sits there through seasons, looking out the window. Finally, the pain becomes to great and she jumps from the window, ending her life. That is the forward. I was trying to capture the changing from one state to another, where the girl, as the rose petal has fallen from the rose, falls from her life. In the moments she is falling to the ground she flashes through everything that has happened in her life, but through the experiences of the rose petal. When her fall ends, she is then home, in a different sense of home. Since her room, her space has become her coffin, she jumps into a new beginning, and ends her old one. But since she falls at the feet of her mother or the rose and becomes the earth, she then begins again and the cycle renews.

This is a very sad story, obviously, and I certainly hope it is not depressing. I was simply trying to capture the themes of the class in the fashion of a story.

I would also like to compliment everyone on their final presentations. They were so dynamic and so entertaining. From dancing to singing to rapping, I think the past few days have been the most entertaining I have ever experienced in a class. I love how you poured your hearts into your work and I am really really glad I had the opportunity to see how your papers became what they were.

I am sad the class is over, but on the bright side Bible as Literature and Mythologies next semester!!! I am actually embarrassed by how excited I am for those classes but I have a feeling alot of you feel the same about classes with Sexson...or should I say Mr. Jones. =) And as a note that I think is wonderful and daunting at the same time, I have made an endless list of books I need to read. This class has made me realize what is out there for me to experience and I am ready to begin again and again and again and read every book on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment