a little bit of humor

a little bit of humor

Friday, February 5, 2010

Excuse me for seeming rude...

This is not meant to be vulgar or rude but Dr. Sexson referred to faeces the other day and the recurrence of its appearance in the works we are reading. Well, I was reading the very beginning of East Coker and I came upon an interesting line and formed a theory. "Old fire to ashes, and ashes to the earth/ Which is already flesh, fur and faeces,/ Bone of man and beast, cornstalk and leaf." My interpretation of the importance of faeces is that it is in constant cycle. Beginning as a living organism; a plant or animal, it then becomes part of the earth to nourish more plants and in turn more animals. This may seem simple and very Lion Kingish, but it seems to be one possible definition of eternal recurrence.

1 comment:

  1. If you haven't read Molloy chapter I yet, you should. There is an amazing story about faeces.

    ReplyDelete