a little bit of humor

a little bit of humor

Friday, February 19, 2010

My grandma has 13...or 14, I'm not entirely sure, steps leading to the basement of her house. She also has 13...0r 14, I'm not entirely sure, steps leading out of the basement of her house. My cousins and I used to be blocked from these stairs with a fence meant for boisterous children bound to crash down a set of 13 or 14 steps. Once I was allowed to traverse these stairs, and once I was able to count, they became my constant torment. From the top, one steps down, counts one, two, three, four...so on, until that nagging bottom step, potential step number 14. Is the floor at the bottom considered a step or is it just part of the floor? I then ascend the stairs, starting at the bottom, the first step up counts one, then two, three, four...so on, until that damned top step, potential step number 14. Is the top step to be counted or is it part of the floor of the first level? Like I said, constant torment. In times of little conciousness, my habit of counting stairs of a truly Beckettian obsession, I still count the stairs and after reflection find myself varying in outcomes. Sometimes I count 13, other times 14. What is the solution for my predicament? "I will tell you. No, I'll tell you nothing. Nothing." (Malloy pg. 129)

No comments:

Post a Comment